ALDinHE 2024: The Learning Development Conference
Glasgow Caledonian University, the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
7 & 11-12 June 2024
Join us for three days of stimulating discussion and inspiring sessions – both online and in-person, in the wonderful, vibrant city of Glasgow.
Every ALDinHE Conference is a special occasion, but this year we are particularly excited to announce our first collaboratively hosted event!
Our online day will be Friday, 7 June, and our in-person days will be Tuesday and Wednesday, 11-12 June, hosted jointly by Glasgow Caledonian University, the University of Glasgow, and the University of Strathclyde.
We welcome submissions that align with one of the following themes:
- Building Learning Development for the future:
- Incorporating and/or critiquing new technologies (e.g., ChatGTP and other AI).
- Considering the position, whether strategic, policy-based, or physical (etc.) of Learning Development within institutions and/or in the wider HE sector.
- How is Learning Development “serious” and/or “playful”?
- Building inclusive Learning Development spaces:
- Physical and/or virtual.
- Embodied spaces.
- Mental (i.e., building the environments that let people learn and focus).
- Building empowering student partnerships in Learning Development:
- Students as change agents.
As always, in addition to lots of lively discussion, practice-sharing and networking, the conference will offer plenty of valuable CPD opportunities, opportunities to learn more about ALDinHE, and the chance to get more involved with the exciting and valuable work of the Association.
The deadline for proposal submission is:
Monday 15 January 2024 by 5pm (UK time).
Please read the guidelines below and submit your proposal here.
You may choose to submit a proposal for a:
- 60-minute workshop.
- 20-minute paper presentation.
- 5-minute lightning talk.
- Resource showcase.
- Practitioner mini-keynote.
- Wild Card.
If you haven’t presented at the ALDinHE conference before, you can request a mentor to guide you through the submission process* and the preparation process. A mentor could support you in terms of:
Preparing a proposal
1) Discussing the format of previous ALDinHE conference sessions.
2) Talking through your ideas for a submission.
3) Offering informal feedback on an abstract draft.
4) Discussing how to approach any requested revisions.
Preparing your session
1) Providing feedback on draft slides.
2) Watching a practice run of your session online and giving you feedback.
3) Technical aspects of poster preparation.
The deadline to request a proposal mentor is Friday 1 December 2023 by 5pm (UK time). This will give us enough time to ensure we can find you a suitable mentor and that your mentor can help you with your proposal.
*Please note that a conference mentor does not guarantee that a submission will be accepted.
If you would like to request a mentor, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration will open on the 29th March 2024. The ticket prices for ALDcon24 are shown below.
Early bird ticket prices* – available until 26 April 2024:
|Ticket type||ALDinHE members||Non-members|
|Two days in-person||£150.00||£180.00|
|One day in-person + online||£120.00||£145.00|
|One day in-person||£80.00||£95.00|
Ticket prices from 27 April 2024:
|Ticket type||ALDinHE members||Non-members|
|Two days in-person||£187.50||£225.00|
|One day in-person + online||£150.00||£181.25|
|One day in-person||£100.00||£118.75|
*Please note that if you are paying by BACS, we must receive your funds prior to 26 April 2024 to be eligible for early bird prices.
Fee Waiver Scheme
We will once again be opening a fee waiver scheme for presenters whose institutions will not fund the cost of a conference place. These will be on an application-only basis. Further details will follow separately.
The ALDinHE conference is a supportive and welcoming environment that promotes creative collaboration between learning developers and is always popular, with a regular attendance of around 200 delegates from the UK and beyond.
We are currently accepting expressions of interest for ALDCon25, in particular from universities in the south of England or Wales. If you are interested in potentially hosting the conference – and showing off your institution and local area! – please contact the Conference Committee chair, Melanie Crisfield, at email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your proposals.
Melanie Crisfield, on behalf of the ALDinHE Conference Committee