This activity is useful for introducing Level 4 students to different reading materials at university, and the need to read credible and reliable sources when researching. Source Top Trumps provided.
Specific resources needed for implementing this resource:
Source Top Trumps, Source Information Sheets
Contributor’s comments on the use of this resource:
Instructions for running the activity:
- Students read through the source Information sheets
- Students provide scores out of 5 for different characteristics (credibility, reliability,
bias, involvement in academic debate) of each source on the Source Top Trumps
- Students order Source Top Trumps from ‘best’ to ‘worst’
- To add an element of gamification, Step 3 can also be performed in a ‘battle’, as in the regular way of playing Top Trumps.
- Different information sheets may need to be created for different subjects and disciplines which may regard sources differently.